Thursday, September 25, 2008

Take Two

Well hello everyone! It has been a windy last couple of days in Guanajuato. Today I could swear that the University was floating in a cloud, the mist was showering down whenever I walked outside in between classes. Okay so I had a request to expand a little bit more on my daily schedule, so now I will enlighten you all about a day in the life of a student in Gto.
First of all, I live in a room with one other girl, Trisha. Our house is sort of a compound. There is a two person room up at the top with its own door and own bathroom where a student from Japan named You lives. Boy does that get confusing if we're speaking in English. :) Then down some stairs, a little walkway leads to me and Trish's room. It is the same setup as the one upstairs, there is a large room with two twin beds and a closet and a desk and there is also a bathroom. The kitchen, living room, and three other bedrooms where our host family and two other students live consists of the other portion of the house. Everyday on the way to school we walk down 96 stairs, oh yes, I counted. But what is even worse is the 96 up, on the way back from school or anywhere for that matter.
Okay, my daily schedule: Everyday I wake up around 6:45 or 7 am, depending on how many times I push the snooze button. I get ready and go to breakfast, which usually consists of eggs and toast or pancakes or cereal and coffee. Then I go to school! I attend class from 8 to 12 everyday (each class is an hour). My first class of the day is Literature, which I am proud to say that I just finished my first Spanish novel! I read "Como Agua Para Chocolate" by Laura Esquivel, it was fantastic. My second class is History, where we are currently learning abut the reign of Porfirio Diaz. My third class is Conversation with a crazy teacher named Martino. Then, my fourth class is Grammar, the nitty gritty of the Spanish language. That's my school day! After school, I usually go home to eat a snack and begin my homework. At 2pm we have "la comida" or lunch. For lunch we usually have beans and rice and some sort of meat. Then after lunch, I usually do some more homework or go online. Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30-4:30, two of the other girls from CLU and I go to a convent down the street to help the girls at the home there with their homework.The girls living there are usually from problematic families. But their families go to counseling during the week when the girls stay at the convent, and on the weekends the girls get to go home to spend time with their families. Thus far it has been quite a rewarding experience. And the girls are simply fascinated with my long blond hair. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays we have salsa dancing at the school from 6-7pm at the University. It has been fun so far, but a little bit repetitive. I mean, with my Do Re Mi training, I'm used to a pretty fast pace ;) I eat "la cena" or dinner at 8pm every night which usually consists of something smaller than lunch, like quesadillas or tortas (my new favorite!) And that is my day...on the weekends I usually sleep in a little, do some homework and wonder around town. My favorite place to go is either the Mercado Hidalgo for a frozen banana dipped in chocolate and rolled in nuts, or Cafe Conquistador for a cup of chai. Nightlife here in Gto does not usually start until medianoche, yes that would be midnight. But the best night to go out is Thursdays, don't worry I still get up for class on Fridays. Well that is my schedule, I'll post again soon with more study abroad stories!

4 comments:

Outcalt Family said...

Hi Katie!

Thanks for the details of your day.I can picture you now hiking up and down those stairs!!

Love,

The Family

Amanda B. said...

Katie,
I am so glad to hear that you are having a good time. I miss you so much, you have no idea. You have really inspired me to study abroad. I am thinking I will do it sometime next year. I'm thinking fall. I cannot wait to see you, and hear all of your amazing stories! I love you so much! My family and I are thinkin' about you!
~Amanda

Brenda said...

It's really fun to read about your house (sorry, casa), friends, classes and leisure time (glad you have some leisure time). We all miss you but know you are having experiences you'll never forget. Keep the updates coming!
Lots of love to you....the Boltons

momcob said...

Hey Katie - it is so fun to read about your travels....keep the updates coming. Glad you're making great memories.

Sharon