Monday, October 6, 2008

Not too far away from home.....

As I was walking from the dining room to by bedroom after breakfast, as I do daily to brush my teeth before school, I noticed the large bush which I walk past numerous times a day. This bush had produced a flower. A poinsettia, to be exact. I couldn't help but think of my cross streets in my neighborhood at home, Poinsettia & 93rd place. Little did I know that this plant is indigenous to Mexico. The flower is named after Joel Roberts Poinsett, the first US Ambassador to Mexico. The flower, also called "the Christmas star" holds a significance in Mexico, as well as in the United States, during the month of December. The story goes like this, a little girl who was too poor to buy a present for Jesus on his birthday, was inspired by an angel to gather some weeds to place on the church altar. From the weeds sprouted a beautiful pointsettia. From then on, the Fransiscan Monks since the 17th century used these flowers in Christmas celebrations.

Not too far away from home, no I don't think so. Guanajuato has become somewhat like my second home. I could not imagine studying anywhere else than right here, right now. But, Arizona will always be my first home, the place where I want to raise a family, to grow old, and to experience the rest of my life. There will always be aspects of Gto that will remind me of Arizona, like the poinsettia I get to indulge in every day. Inviting. Beautiful. Wonderful. Arizona. Guanajuato.
Home. There's no place like home.

1 comment:

Outcalt Family said...

Awesome Katie! We missed you sooo much in Rocky Point. It wasn't the same without you. Can't wait to see Your Guanajuato:)

Mom