Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Michoacan trip & A visit from Mom and Grandma















Hola y buenos dias! Man is the weather bi-polar around here. It was warm about four days ago but it has turned into a chilly winter bluster. Oh well, that's what moccasins are for. Well quite a bit has happened since my last post. I have been to Morelia, Janitizio, and Patzcuaro and I have played tour guide Barbie for my Mom and Grandma. It is fun knowing enough about a city to give a legit tour :) The first couple pictures at the top are from the visit of my Mom and Grandma, and the last few are from my trip to Michoacan.

In Michoacan, we stared off in the city of Morelia where we also spent the night. We first went to the "Mirador", or the look out. (That is the picture with just me and the city behind!) Then we went to this awesome buffet where they served food native to the area of Michoacan. We had posole ( I think that's how you spell it ?), sopes, homemade corn tortillas, mole, and rice pudding. Yummy!!!! Then we went on a tour around the city, a little trolley thing, and we listened to the guide give us a little history of the city, in Spanish of course, while we gazed out the windows at the bypassing landmarks. One of my favorite stops on the tour was a church, I swear to goodness if Barbie was a real person, would have definitely gotten married to Ken there. It was just covered in gold leaf and ornate flowers, and....of course it was pink. I loved it, but I just don't think I would be able to pay attention to a sermon in this place because I would be too distracted. The second day of our outing, we went to Patzuaro where there is a large natural lake and in the middle of that lake there is an island called Janitizio. It was about a 45 minute boat ride to the island and the same back. But, it was hard to be bored with the mariachis on board, not to mention the guys with snacks like sugared nuts and homemade ice cream. The island was phenomenal, just packed with color and culture and life. On top of the island was a statue of Jesus Christ, similar to the on we have here called Pipila. And boy did I get some good shopping done on that island! After our boat adventure we got to explore the city of Patzcuaro, which I immediately fell in love with. I think I'm just a sucker for big squares with giant trees.

I was so excited to see my Mom and Grandma. Bryan and I waited for them anxiously at the airport with a "Bienvenidos a Guanajuato" sign. While here, I tried to pack in as much adventure as possible. We saw Pipila, a mine in Valenciana, the mercado Hildago, Embajadores, and much more. We had a wonderful time. Well...my computer is losing life and I have to go eat my comida. Pues, hasta luego for now and I will post again soon!

1 comment:

Outcalt Family said...

Hey! You even used two pictures I took. We had such an amazing time I'm so glad we came to visit and I'll be even happier when you are home!!

Love

Mom